Powell Riverites are awesome: 10 reasons you’re proud to be from Powtown
1. You’re like a sommelier, except for instead of wine, you have a seasoned palate for the smell of a kraft mill.
Rumour has it, longtime residents of Cranberry can predict storms and weather patterns, based solely on the day of the week, and whether they are upwind or downwind from that familiar, pungent smell of burning sludge. It doesn’t bother you anymore.
2. No one you hang out with has ever seen you skate, but you live with the comfort and confidence that you are a much better skater than most humans.
Cranberry Lake freezes over (enough to skate on) an average of maybe once every four years, and yet everyone in town seems to have been born with the ability to skate. Some better than others, but still.
3. You know exactly where to go, right now, to have an illegal party in the backwoods of BC.
In fact, right this second, while you read this sentence, you’re thinking of at least three to five different (but excellent) spots, and deciding in your mind which might be the best.
4. You have a secret blackberry picking spot.
Isn’t Blackberry Festival amazing? I mean, the things literally grow like weeds all over town, and are free for the taking. What better reason for the whole town to get together and drink and eat rich desserts, than in the name of free fruit? But you’re a local, so you know where to get ‘em where there’s no pollution from nearby roads or pesticides. You also either have a blackberry recipe you are proud of, or a family member who makes one for you. (You should post your favourite recipe in the comments. Do it. Do it.)
5. That time you jumped off the cliffs at Mowat Bay
You tell everyone that story, every time you go there, but people let you have that moment because everyone loves that place. See also: Eagle River.
6. The trails
A large network of volunteer organizations, including active hikers, bikers and ATVers, maintain a network of trails throughout town that are world class in every way, but they almost feel like your little secret. You have a favourite trail, favourite camping spot and favourite place from which to take pictures of sunsets.
7. Oh man, the sunsets
When you have friends visiting who have never been to Powell River, and they see their first Powell River sunset, it feels like giving someone their first beer. After that, they will crane their necks everyday to see one jaw-dropping magic hour vista after another until, like you, they start to feel a proud sense of ownership of the setting sun on the Sunshine Coast. Check out our slideshow of 29 Powell River sunsets that are just to die for.
8. You can recite the BC Ferries docking announcements verbatim
You also know exactly at which point in your ferry crossing the announcements will come on, and what amenities are available on board just by looking at the exterior hull of the ship. Still, you’re never 100% sure of the schedule or the current fare rates, and you can’t talk about ferries for longer than five minutes without your heart rate increasing to unhealthy levels.
You haven’t been to enough performances, but you think it’s really swell that all that those choirs travel from all over the world to be there, and it makes you proud.
10. You know how to build a fire, forage and hunt for food, and how to clean a fish.
Man, woman or child, it’s still true. You’d make a great contestant on Survivor.
What else are you proud of that we missed?
Latest posts by Powtown Post (see all)
- Powell River-Born Stylist Karla Welch is in Vogue… Again - August 22, 2017
- Don’t miss the Diamond Dance… this Saturday! - August 17, 2017
- Keep Your Kids Reading Throughout the Summer (at the New Library!) - June 20, 2017