The Sliammon Development Corporation now owns 100% of the Lund Hotel
It’s been nearly a century, but the land at the tip of Lund has come full-circle.
In 1879, the Government of Canada took Tla’amin’s traditional territories from the nation, and moved members onto six reserves at Sliammon, Harwood Island, Cortes Island, Grace Harbour, Theodosia Inlet, and Okeover Inlet. The nation lost its rights to the land at Lund.
However, as of this month, the Lund Hotel is now 100-percent owned by the Sliammon Development Corporation. And, when the treaty is implemented on April 5, the land under the Lund Hotel becomes part of Tla’amin territory, as well.
On Saturday, March 5, hundreds of people came to celebrate the transfer of ownership of the complex, which includes the hotel, grocery store, marina, pub and gift store space (occupied by Tug-Guhm Gallery and Studio).
The move is the latest incarnation for this complex, which was built in 1905 by the Thulin brothers.
The hotel closed in 1998. In partnership with now Mayor Dave Formosa, Sliammon Development Corporation bought the complex in 1999 and re-opened it in 2000. Formosa just sold his share of the complex to Sliammon. According to the Web site:
“Almost every year since, the hotel has undergone further renovation and expansion projects including the addition of a wing of superior boutique style units, ongoing exterior improvements, and more. Currently the hotel has 31 well-appointed guest rooms, oceanfront pub and restaurant with un-obscured ocean views as well as spectacular menus, and many shops and amenities.”
The Lund Hotel will be managed by Mizare, a leadership and project management company.
All photos by Isabelle Southcott – Powell River Living